Saturday, May 06, 2006

Avarus : Vesikansi : Secret Eye / Lal Lal Lal
Stoned dudes fucking around. Ever have someone ask you what your genre was? It always pissed me off. I liked to think I listened to music that surpassed its genre or completely disregarded it, but I think I've found mine. You see, the thing about stoned dudes fucking around is that they tend to forget about structure. There could be some excellent musicianship on display, but when all the borders start to blur and pure sound begins to spew forth, I'm right there. And Avarus are somewhere sort of off to the left.
I googled this album for reviews and all I found was some mail order thing saying they could never be psychedelic because they didn't know how to play their instruments. Well, from experience I can tell you that Avarus are one of the most psychedelic bands around, and they play their instruments like noone I've ever heard. They're a bunch of art-punks living out of Finnish dumpsters and they've found some way to devolve their playing into this primal stew, this swelling clang and clatter. Some of this stuff sounds a bit Sunburned Hand-y, but for my dollar it's Avarus. Sonic invention always abounds and the near constant droney haze binds it all together.
These are some nice long tracks. I thinks it's all from one live set. Tara Burke (Fursaxa) shows up for the last one and it's a doozy I tells ya. I like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home