Thursday, October 19, 2006

I've been meaning to write about this for a while now, but it always seemed like such a grand discovery that it should be saved for a grandiose occasion. And this is no such occasion, but who really cares. Just say whatever you feel needs to be said and do the embarassment and second guessing later. Such is the beauty of the internet.
So I read Valerie Wilmer's As Serious As Your Life this while back. And it really is that serious, lots of writing on Sun Ra, Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, giving proper due to controversial figures whose presence has grown more towering over time. I don't know, I think I mentioned it was a while back. I don't remember much, but it was fascinating. I returned it to the library on time and everything.
There's a section on the AACM, which stands for something, and which I always used to confuse with the Art Ensemble of Chicago. They're members, so it ain't all that dumb.
I just got worried that I'd written NAACP, which could've seemed racist to someone. It's cool, I've got a black cousin. I'm a regular Atticus Finch.
The AACM also has Anthony Braxton for a member, and the book quotes him saying something to the effect of, "The musicians of the future will play boxes of their own design, which will emit swirling sounds with little regard for Western tonalities." Or something. Now, I was listening to plenty Dub Leps and Wolf Eyes at the time, so to say my mind was blown does little to convey my shock and awe. Dude wasn't prescient, he was goddamn prophetic. Seriously, did anyone else notice this? Did I imagine it? And that Victoriaville thing happened like a half year later. If I'd blogged it or written it down and mailed it to myself, it would've been time-stamped, and I could've called up Byron Coley and demanded he hand over his record collection. Or even just a copy of Clyma Est Mort.
Even Braxton hasn't tooted his own horn (hah!) on the quote, but clearly he's got some class. I could learn from the man.

p.s. Many thanks to anyone who's passed along kind words. I'm kind of a pussy, so the validation helps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home